An Ultimate Guide To Buying A Vintage Engagement Band
Buying an engagement ring, especially the vintage style ring, can be an overwhelming task. An engagement ring is a symbol of love for your partner. It is also a promise to your loved one to take your relationship to the next level.
The designs of vintage engagement bands are over 50 years old. But, vintage style rings are now latest in the fashion world. In the jewelry industry, vintage style engagement rings are increasing in demand. Nowadays, most of the brides want to wear a vintage style ring to create an antique and romantic look at their weddings.
Before buying the engagement ring, you must know the exact size of her ring finger. Also, you have to know her style. When you are with your partner, notice the type of jewelry she wears – does she wear a lot of gold, silver, diamond or platinum? Maybe there’s a specific stone she wears a lot like her birthstone. When buying the engagement ring, also think about her personality and which type of ring she likes.
For many men, purchasing a unique and antique engagement ring for their loved one is one of the most important purchases they’ll ever make and this will be their first experience in the world of jewelry. When they walk into a jewelry store, they are totally confused with terms and concepts that they have never heard before.
So, here’s an effort to simplify the purchase of these timeless pieces of jewelry.
- Set up your budget
Before walking into a jewelry store, the first thing you will need to decide is your budget. This will help the jeweler, to show you the various options that suit your price range. So, you can easily choose the perfect one which will impress your partner.
- The four C’s of diamond
The quality and value of a diamond is determined by four important factors which are known as the 4 C’s which include Carat, clarity, color, and cut (shape).
- Carat: Generally, a carat is the unit of weight by which a diamond is measured. For example 2 grams is equivalent to 1 carat. And the value of a diamond totally depends on its size.
- Clarity: Clarity is also known as the quality of a diamond. Most of the diamonds contain inner and outer imperfections, which are inspected on a sliding scale, which depicts the diamond’s clarity.
- Color: A perfect diamond engagement band has no color at all. They are considered as pure and are ranked as a “D” on the GIA color grading scale. To identify the exact color of a diamond, there are four categories of diamond hues – D, H, N, and Z which are ranging from high to low in value.
- Cut: Shape of a diamond is the most important feature because it has the greatest effect on a diamond’s brightness. A heart cut diamond ring has romantic symbolism, so, it can be a perfect engagement ring for your partner.
- Period of ring – when the ring was made
The main effect on the style of a vintage engagement ring is the period when the ring was made.
- Gregorian rings: The duration of this period across the reign of four Kings of England from approximately 1714 to 1837. Rings from this period were heavily crafted into the nature things like leaves, birds and much more.
- Victorian rings: This time period spans across the reign of Queen Victoria of England, approximately 1836 to 1901. Engagement rings of this era will surely create a classic and romantic look.
- Edwardian rings: The duration of this period is 1895 to 1914. If your partner likes to go for a graceful look, then the engagement ring of this era is perfect for your partner.
Vintage style rings are the perfect engagement ring for your partner. These rings reflect the sensibility through hand-crafted detailing and delicate illustration.