Growing interest in Roller Skates
The obsession to move about in a swift and smooth manner has led to the development of various kinds of technologies. Some harness energy from fuels and batteries while others like skating uses our natural movements and translates it into a gliding motion. Over the years skating has developed into a passion and hobby for youth all over the world. The health benefit of skating has added to buzz of increased demand in quality equipment. Skating has developed into an aerobic exercise mostly adopted by urban population. This is because roller skates has successfully combined two aspects hitherto considered to be completely foreign to each other, namely fun and working out. Rollers skates have evolved from being a recreational activity to being inculcated into competitive sports. Different types of skates are available depending upon the purpose for which the user needs it.
The type and cost of roller skates depend upon their intended use. If you are not sure which kind of skating you would like to practice, surf the net, watch some videos or go to a skating park to get the idea. Commonly seen types of roller skating are:
- Recreational/casual skating – skating for fun and quick transportation (inline skates, quad-skates, tri-skates or Cardiff roller skates);
- Fitness skating – skating as a workout, burning calories (inline skates);
- Inline speed skating – racing sport similar to ice speed skating (inline skates);
- Freestyle slalom skating – artistic performance of a sequence of complicated skating tricks on a flat surface with specially placed cones (inline skates);
- Aggressive skating – an extreme kind of sport involving performance of various masterful tricks including jumps, slides and acrobatic stunts in the air (inline skates);
- Downhill – an extreme type of speed roller skating involving movement down inclined surfaces with the view to develop the highest speed possible (inline skates) ;
- Artistic skating – a kind of sport similar to ice figure skating comprising a number of disciplines such as dancing, freestyle, pairs performance etc. (quad-skates, inline skates);
- Roller hockey – a type of hockey played on a dry rink or other smooth surfaces (inline skates, quad-skates, depending on hockey type);
- Roller derby – a team kind of sport with 5 players in each team comprising racing, bumping and elements of wrestling (quad-skates).
Major roller skating manufacturers have invested large sums of money and time into creating niche products ideally suited for enthusiasts of a particular sport or hobby. Major manufacturers are Riedell, Sure-Grip, GTX, MOXI, QuadLine etc. Riedell is world known skate manufacturer with millions of dollars invested into making great quality products for quad roller skate industry. Sure-Grip is a US based Quad Roller Skate company with years of experience making the highest quality skates on the market. Roller Derby excels at making some of the best kid roller skates fashionable and inexpensive. All these leading skates are available at online options like FigureSkatingStore.com. If you prefer to have a feel of the equipment you are going to buy, there are a lot of retail stores which sell quad skates.