The Essence of a Diamond Ring—Don’t Ask Her to Marry You Without It
If you’ve done your research, you know that the association of diamond engagement rings to engagements began with a clever marketing campaign conducted by De Beers in 1938. And it worked, as the company’s sales skyrocketed from $23 million in 1939, to $2.1 billion in 1979. That’s almost a hundred-fold growth rate in 4 decades.
So perhaps part of you is saying that you don’t have to be conned by clever advertising, and you can put your money to better use (downpayment for a house, perhaps?). But there are good reasons why you should swallow your pride and buy a diamond ring before you propose.
- It’s a sign that you’re serious about your proposal. Saving money for a diamond ring requires forethought. In all likelihood, it’s probably the 3rd most expensive thing you’re going to buy in your life, next to a house and a car. So if you propose and you don’t have a ring to show, it says that you’re not ready and you haven’t really given it much thought. But if you have the ring, she’s more likely to say “yes”.
- Your lady has been dreaming of this moment for a long, long time. In their dreams, you give them a diamond ring. It’s that simple. If you want to make their dreams come true then you have to get that ring. It’s been part of our cultural tradition for so long that going against it feels wrong.
- Your lady won’t have to be so defensive towards her friends. When she sees her friends after you propose (and she said “yes”), she’s going to tell all her friends. Then they’ll shriek and squeal and demand to see the ring, so that they can “ooh” and “aah” over it. Don’t’ deny her that moment.
- Your in-lawsmay not like you as much. Your fiancé’s parents are concerned about 3 things: you have to love their daughter, you won’t hurt their daughter, and you can provide for their daughter. You may not be the lawyer, doctor, or Internet millionaire they envisioned their daughter with. But if you can afford a diamond ring, you’re definitely going to impress.
- It’s not as expensive as you may think. All you really need is the right jeweler to help you pick the right one based on your budget. Diamond rings can be impressive without being too expensive, as long as you have an expert to help you make the proper choice.
So find the right jewelry store to help you, and diamond rings won’t be as intimidating as you may think. Good luck!