Ultimate Guide To Treat Sebaceous Cyst
What is Sebaceous Cyst?
The cyst is the membranous sac on the skin of your body that contains a fluid or semi-liquid element. When this cyst originates from the sebaceous gland, it is termed as the sebaceous cyst. Generally, it is a bump of fluid under the skin. It may form if sebaceous glands get damaged or if its duct becomes blocked. These glands are located under hair follicles that produce keratin and sebum oil coating skin and hair.
The size of the cyst may vary from person to person, which can be as small as one millimeter or can be greater than 5 centimeters. It usually appears on the neck, torso or face. They may grow slowly extending the spot.
A sebaceous cyst is not harmful to the health or life-threatening, but it may be painful that makes you uncomfortable. This is the reason why sebaceous cyst treatment is essential to get rid of it.
Causes of Sebaceous Cyst
- Deformation or misshapen duct can cause swelling under the skin
- Hair removal treatment through shaving or waxing
- Excessive production of testosterone
- Exposure to the sun
- Skin trauma
- Acne prone skin
- Swollen hair follicles due to ingrown hairs
Sebaceous Cyst Treatment
A sebaceous cyst is non-cancerous, so removal of the abscess is not mandatory. But, in order to feel confident in your own skin and remove the red, irritating bumps under the skin, it needs to be treated well.
First of all, you need to understand what are its main generating factors. You can also get a note of whether there were any skin injuries in the recent times or if you have a family history of cysts. Accordingly, you need check if there is any cyst anywhere else on your body.
Popping it or squeezing it as you do it for acne, might trouble your skin. Consulting a specialist doctor and removing it surgically would be much better than manually crunching it. You can visit some dermatologist such as London Dermatology Clinic.
Wondering why to go for surgical treatment when it’s not even dangerous? Surgical treatment helps to remove it on the permanent basis. If the sebaceous cyst is not removed with any surgical treatment, then there are high chances of it to hit your skin even after its removal. This is the reason why opting for the surgical treatment would be the smartest decision.
The doctor would either drain it or discard it through an effective surgical treatment. What sort of cyst is it? What is its size? Where is its location on your body? These are the questions of concern that doctor will check and treat it accordingly.
Whenever you visit any doctor, they serve you with 3 options for removal of the cyst. You can choose anyone from the techniques mentioned as under:
- Laser with punch biopsy excision- This treatment is time taking, as it uses a laser to make a small hole for draining out the entire fluids filled in it and the outer wall the cyst is removed a month later.
- Minimal excision- This treatment involves minimal pain and as compared to other methods, it rarely causes scarring. But, one of its disadvantages is that it carries a high risk of occurring again and would trouble you in near future.
- Conventional wide excision- In this method, the cyst is completely expunged but it may leave scars on your skin for a longer period of time.
The doctor will diagnose your sac and accordingly suggest you the effective method of surgical treatment. Post-removal of the cyst, the doctor will prescribe some kind of healing ointment that would prevent any infection. Moreover, the doctor might give you scar cream for reducing surgical scars and possess flawless skin.
Tips to Prevent Sebaceous Cyst
Benjamin Franklin correctly framed his words as “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
It’s not that those filthy looking sacs will cause some severe problems, but who would like unwanted bumpy element in our body. It would be better to prevent it from before it grows larger.
- Keep your body hydrated for oozing out the harmful toxins.
- Consume antioxidant-rich foods which have powers to detoxify your body.
- Incorporate natural herbs in your diet which would purify your blood.
- Get along with a nutritious diet plan which is enriched with vitamins and minerals.
- Reduce consumption of junk food.
- Use antibacterial soap for cleaning the area of cysts.
- Let it settle down naturally and resist from crunching, squeezing it or popping it.
- When it gets painful, immediately visit a doctor and prevent it from developing further.
Now when you know the entire scenario, it’s upon you to get along with the right sebaceous cyst treatment to heal it.
However, popping it is easy to get rid of it, but it will leave you with scars on your skin. As a result, it would get infected, inviting other health problems. So, surgical treatment for the same is highly recommended to sustain a healthy and a happy lifestyle.